How to find the right Hair Oils
Firstly, the same principles apply to hair oils as they do for skin oils: Natural oils are loaded with different types of vitamins, antioxidants, and fatty acids, all of which are important for both a healthy scalp and healthy hair. Does the thought of slathering on a hair oil give you the ick? You’re not alone. So many people fear that as soon as they apply a little lubrication to their locks, their strands are going to look like they’ve been dipped into a deep fat fryer. Also as a black woman with thick Afro hair, oils have always been a part of my beauty routine.
However, my friends with finer Asian and European hair, have long been wary about whether the benefits outweigh the cons. I’m here to tell you that there is an oil to help with every hair type, whether it’s over-processed ends or flaky scalps. Also, there’s more choice than ever, so you can find a sophisticated formula that won’t make you look like you’re channeling wet-look catwalk hair – unless that’s your vibe. Here’s a rundown of everything you need to know.
Types of hair oils
Firstly, one of the most well-known hair oils around, Argan earned the nickname ‘liquid gold, thanks to its universal appeal. “It’s a lovely light oil suitable for ALL hair types,” says Talisha Cox, Owner of Elite Hair Lounge, London. “That being said, type 4 curls may need a little more, as it’s very lightweight.” In its most raw form, Argan oil contains a mix of antioxidants (like Vitamin E) and fatty acids. However, the sebum our bodies naturally produce is made up of a high percentage of fatty acids too, so if you have dry hair, applying this oil is a good way to lubricate your strands if they’re looking a bit dull.
Jojoba oil has been working its way into countless hair care products over the years because of its stellar moisturizing benefits. Whilst so many other oils work on moisturizing the outer layers of your strands, jojoba is made up of clever fats that can actually penetrate the outer layer of hair, this means it can nourish and repair beneath the surface – pretty cool, right? Also, it’s often found in products for dry or chemically treated hair, but you can also use it in its raw form on the ends of your hair as an overnight treatment.
Top 5 Hair Oils
Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Conditioner
WOW Onion Black Seed Hair Oil
Dabur Amla Hair oil
SheaMoisture Leave-in Conditioner Treatment
1. Moroccanoil Treatment
Moroccanoil Treatment is the original award-winning hair product that created the worldwide buzz on argan oil and pioneered oil-infused hair care. Formulated with antioxidant-rich argan oil and linseed (flax) seed extract, this iconic hair treatment instantly nourishes hair, leaving it healthier-looking and feeling with each use. An excellent foundation for any hairstyling routine, it detangles hair, speeds up blow-drying time, and pairs well with other styling products. However, the fast-absorbing formula also smooths frizz and flyaways, leaves hair more manageable, and boosts shine without leaving a greasy residue. In fact, just one application of Moroccanoil Treatment increases hair’s shine by up to 118%, according to an independent study.* Also available in Light for fine or light-colored hair. Fragranced with the signature Moroccanoil scent, an exotic blend of spicy amber aromas, and sweet floral notes.
Also, the Moroccanoil Treatment bottle is 100% recyclable and made of over 40% post-consumer recycled glass.
*Clinical test [“Increase in Hair Shine as a Result of Product Application”] conducted in January 2020 by TRI/Princeton.
How to Use
Damp Hair: Apply damp hair from mid-length to ends as the foundation for all styling and to prepare the hair for blow-drying. Blow-dry or style as usual.
Dry Hair: Apply to dry hair from mid-length to ends to help smooth and eliminate frizz and help protect against environmental factors, including the sun and wind. Provides long-lasting shine while taming flyaways.
2. Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Conditioner 13oz
About this item
- Firstly, its with Coconut Oil, Papaya Butter, Plumeria Extract
- Secondly, helps detangle, defrizz and define curls
- Hydrating conditioner for thick, curly hair
- Silicone Free
- Made with 100% Aloe juice as the first ingredient
- Curl-defining coconut oil frizz conditioner
- DE-FRIZZ and DEFINE CURLS: This 13-fluid ounce bottle of Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Conditioner helps hydrate, smooth, and defrizz curls while enhancing softness and body
- CURLY HAIR CARE: Ideal for tight curls, the anti-frizz conditioner is safe for use on color-treated hair to help detangle, protect and define your hair’s natural curl pattern leaving behind shiny, bouncy curls
- UNIQUE BLEND WITH ALOE VERA: The rich blend of this curl-defining vegan conditioner contains 100% aloe vera as the first ingredient along with coconut milk, plumeria extract, and papaya extract
- NOT ALL MOISTURE IS THE SAME: The gentle and nourishing formula of this sulfate-free surfactant conditioner is vegan, free from silicones, parabens, and mineral oil, and contains no synthetic dyes
Use only as directed. Alao, avoid contact with your eyes. If contact occurs rinse immediately. Keep away from children.
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract, Plumeria Alba Flower Extract, Panthenol, Polyquaternium-10, Polyquaternium-37, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Isostearyl Hydroxystearate, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Isopropyl Myristate, Stealth-20, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Maltodextrin, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum).
3. WOW Onion Black Seed Hair Oil
Our Onion Black Seed hair oil is packed with vital ultra-rich nutrients that give a variety of benefits to get the most out of your hair care routine. We only use natural ingredients that don’t strip natural oils from the scalp and hair, helping you avoid dryness, irritation, and itching. Treat yourself to healthy, glossy, beautiful hair from the comfort of your own home. Also, our hair oil is free from sulfates, parabens, mineral oils, and unnatural colors. WOW, Onion Black Seed Hair Oil is the perfect hair care tool to add to your daily routine.
About this item
WOW, Skin Science Onion Black Seed Hair Oil is a non-sticky, non-greasy, and fast absorb hair oil with Onion Black Seed Oil blended with Almond, Castor, Jojoba, Olive & Coconut Oils.
- Firstly, its powered with Onion Black Seed Oil blended with Almond, Castor, Jojoba, Olive & Coconut Oils
- Secondly, formulated with cold-pressed and premium botanical oils
- Suits all scalp and hair types
- Tame Frizz: Frizzy, tangled hair is a nightmare for many of us. Black seed oil provides just what you need to finally be able to do something about it.
- Reduce Hair Loss: Onion black seed oil is packed with highly rich nutrients that are known to keep hair strong, healthy, and beautiful.
- Boost Gloss: If you have dry hair, onion black seed oil is excellent in restoring your hair’s dry strands to replenish them back to a moisturized appearance.
- Healthy Scalp: Many of the anti-inflammatory properties found in onion black seed oil can also be used to help soothe scalp conditions that cause inflammation, flakiness, and sensitivity.
- Natural Ingredients: Our Hair Oil is made from pure ingredients such as Onion Black Seed Oil, Almond Oil, Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, as well as Coconut Oil. These ingredients will ensure you receive softer, silkier, and stronger hair.
4. Dabur Amla Hair oil
Dabur Amla Hair Oil combines the goodness of amla fruit (Indian gooseberry) with a blend of vegetable and mineral oils to promote long, healthy hair. Regular application can assist in reducing split ends and minor hair loss. However, abur Amla Hair Oil has been the secret of beautiful hair in India and around the world for over 50 years.
About this item
- Dabur Amla Hair Oil enriches your hair with the natural goodness of Amla (Indian gooseberry)
- Amla makes hair strong from inside and beautiful outside to keep you looking absolutely gorgeous all-day
- #1 selling Hair oil in the world
Dabur Amla Hair Oil strengthens your hair from within, encourages fresh growth, and controls premature greying. This oil nourishes the scalp and strengthens the hair strands, from root to tip, to give you thick, long & shiny tresses.
Why Dabur Amla Hair Oil?
- Moisturizes your scalp
- Prevents from any hair damage
- Controls pre-mature greying of hair
- Gives you glowing & healthy tresses
- Enhances healthy hair growth
5. SheaMoisture Leave-in Conditioner Treatment
SheaMoisture’s 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Leave-In Conditioner, blended with 100% Virgin Coconut and Shea Oils, creamy Coconut Milk, and Acacia Senegal, this conditioner protects and controls frizz for all hair types. Soften hair and improve styling manageability with this lightweight, milk leave-in treatment. However, it leaves hair wrapped in a light coastal coconut breeze. All SheaMoisture hair products including this leave-in hair conditioner are sustainably produced and cruelty-free. Also, this SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Leave-In, blended with Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, and Acacia Senegal. Can be used as a daily conditioner. Generously spray this daily conditioner on clean damp hair focusing on mid-lengths to ends of the hair. Blow or air-dry. SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Leave-In is formulated with no silicones. Also no sulfates, no parabens, no phthalates, no mineral oil or petrolatum. It has been tested on family and friends and never on animals.
About this item
- Firstly, SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Leave-In is a sulfate-free conditioner that softens hair and improves styling manageability.
- Secondly, this leave-in conditioner is great to detangle, protect and control frizz. It leaves natural hair wrapped in a light coastal coconut breeze.
- All SheaMoisture hair products including this leave-in hair conditioner are sustainably produced and cruelty-free.
- This SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Leave-In, blended with Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk, and Acacia Senegal. Can be used as a daily conditioner.
- Also, spray this daily conditioner on clean damp hair focusing on mid-lengths to ends of the hair. Blow or air-dry.
- SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Leave-In is formulated with no silicones. No sulfates, no parabens, no phthalates, no mineral oil or petrolatum.
Hair Oils FAQ
What Hair Oils will be good for my hair?
The rule is simple. Vegetable oils are rich in poly-saturated fatty acids which are suitable for high porosity hair (damaged hair). However, for low porosity hair (healthy and glossy) are recommended saturated fatty acids. And mono-saturated fatty acids are perfect for medium porosity hair (slightly damaged or curly hair). All that has to be done is defining the porosity level of hair to choose the right oil. Certainly, in most cases, an oil’s work can be evaluated at the end of the treatment.
How much oil is supposed to be applied to hair?
There are no restrictions connected with the amount of oil applied to hair yet. In general, there is no need in applying huge amounts of it. Depending on the product’s consistency, a few drops or even two tablespoons should suffice. Also, please note, it is advisable not to exceed four tablespoons a day. It is important to put on hair such an amount of oil to let it get absorbed freely. So it does not weigh hair down. What is more, if applied in great amounts it might become troublesome to remove the natural cosmetic completely once the session of oil hair treatment is over.
How long should oil be left on the hair?
Natural vegetable oils are considered as completely safe for the human organism. Therefore there are no limitations connected with time devoted to leaving the product on. As mentioned above, hair can be treated with oil right before shampooing. However, the longer the oil is kept on hair, the more time all nourishing substances have to penetrate deep into the hair structure. Oil can be left on even overnight.
Which method of oil hair treatment is the most effective?
All oil hair methods are effective. Certainly, the most intensive action is provided by overnight oil hair treatment. On the other hand, the evenest distribution of oil is guaranteed by putting hair in a bowl filled with a mixture of water and oil.
Can women apply oils while being pregnant?
Yes, pregnant and breastfeeding women can apply natural oils. To tell more, medics suggest replacing regular cosmetics containing artificial preservatives and substances with natural oils. Some natural oils can also counteract stretch marks and skin discolorations.